May 29, 2014

Strattan Building

Added to (68) 300-302 Main Street (and also the Ainsworth blog), an undated but relatively recent color photo of the Strattan building.

October 18, 2013

300 block of Main Street

Added to the Street Views page, a view of the 300 block of Main Street, from a postcard postmarked 1915 (also posted to the Ainsworth blog).

October 12, 2013

Dyche Drug Co. Sign

Cross-posted from the Ainsworth blog, photos of the old Dyche Drug Co. sign exposed by remodeling work in September 2013 added to (58) 238 Main Street.

April 18, 2013

1940-41 Directories

We now have two more directories (1940-41) on the Directories page.

March 28, 2013

The Lindborg Home Service Station, 1963-1979

A collection of photos and clippings from the years when Franklin and Dennis Lindborg operated the "Main St. at the Bridge" service station, added to (40) Intersection of Center and Main Streets.

February 20, 2013

Directories

Added a new page to the blog for telephone directories.

August 25, 2012

Main Street ca. 1920-1926

Cross-posted from the Ainsworth blog, a view of Main Street looking north from Third, circa 1920-1926, added to the Street Views page.

Pennsy Depot 1987

Previously posted to the Ainsworth blog, a 1987 view of the Pennsy Depot, added to the Brickyard, Other Locations page.

August 13, 2012

High School from the East, ca. 1909

Cross-posted from the Ainsworth blog, Hobart High School viewed from the northeast, from a postcard postmarked 1909, added to the Brickyard, Other Locations page.

August 8, 2012

High School from the West, 1920s-1930s

Cross-posted from the Ainsworth blog, Hobart High School viewed from the west, probably ca 1923-1940, added to the Brickyard, Other Locations page.

Old St. Bridget Church, 1909

Previously published in the Ainsworth blog, three shots of a 1909 parade that include the old St. Bridget Church in the background, added to (44) 100 block of Main Street, east side.

M.E. Parsonage circa 1918

Previously published in the Ainsworth blog, a photo that includes the north side of the Methodist parsonage, circa 1918, added to (2) 654 E. Fourth Street.

High School circa 1920

Cross-posted from the Ainsworth blog, two views of the high school as starting point for a Memorial Day parade circa 1920, added to the Brickyard, Other Locations page.

Library and House Behind It, ca. 1918

Previously published in the Ainsworth blog, a view of the library that includes the house behind it, added to (1) 706 E. Fourth Street.

Ham Radio, 1937

Added Dick Wheaton and his ham radio to (21) 517 E. Third Street.

August 7, 2012

Relics of Bates Grill and Hotel

Added an undated Bates Grill and Hotel menu and 5¢ token to (70) 314 Main Street.

February 29, 2012

Sanborn maps

The Sanborn fire insurance maps from 1895, 1902, 1910 and 1922 have been added, with their own special page. They show many details of the downtown area and a few nearby residential areas.

December 7, 2011

Old Mill circa 1908

A postcard of the old mill postmarked 1908, added to (41) Northwest corner of Main and Front Streets.

Main Street circa 1907-1912

A colored postcard of Main Street, looking south from around Front Street, added to the Street Views page.

Hobart High School circa 1910

A colored postcard view of the high school added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Wettengel House at various dates

Links to Ainsworth, Indiana posts about the Wettengel house, exact location unknown, added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Pennsy Depot 1974

A slide showing the Pennsy depot in a state of neglect added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

October 29, 2011

Map of "J" spur

Added a map showing the spur of the EJ&E Railroad to the "View of Duck Creek from 3rd St. Bridge" entry on the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

October 14, 2011

Main Street, 300-400 block, east side

Undated (I'm guessing circa 1903) parade photo that includes a judging stand covered in advertisements for local businesses; added to the Street Views page.

October 13, 2011

Royal Blue Store

Among other things, in an undated (maybe early-1930s?) parade photo, added to (59) 301 – 305 Main Street.

Stocker home circa 1905

Parade photo catches Stocker home in the background; added to (36) 130 Center Street.

First Unitarian Church circa 1900

Not a very good picture of the church, but interesting; added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Manteuffel Shoe Store

A 1915 exterior shot added to (72) 332 Main Street.

A.D. Buchanan Drugstore

Moved the Gordon & Buchanan image from (65) to (70) 314 Main Street; added a 1900 parade photo showing the A.D. Buchanan Drugstore at roughly mid-block. (Also added the parade photo to the Street Views page.)

Main Street circa 1895

A set of six parade photos added to the Street Views page.

October 12, 2011

Fred Rose, Sr. house? Maybe?

A July 1947 photo added to (51) 204 – 206 Main Street.

October 11, 2011

Library under construction, 1968

Under-construction photo of the library taken August 2, 1968, added to (42) 100 – 128 Main Street.

Stevens and O.J. Coppins

Relocated the Stevens Bakery and Lunch Room from (65) to (66) 339 – 341 Main Street; also added an undated photo showing O.J. Coppins' Bakery and Lunch Room in what appears to be the same building, but I'm not 100% sure (not even 75%), and I think I need a nap.

Hobart Launderette

A July 1947 shot of the Hobart Launderette added to (80) 411 – 413 Main Street.

Walgreen Agency/Hobart Drugs

Undated photo of the drugstore's front window, added to (69) 308 – 310 Main Street.

Ben Ack Building

Mundell's Flower Shop and the Jack & Jill Juvenile Shoppe in the Ben Ack building, July 1947; added to (54) 216 – 220 Main Street.

Newman Chevrolet

701 E. Third with a Chevrolet sign, July 1947; added to (15) Southeast corner of Third and Center Streets.

300 block of Main Street, snowstorm, 1968

A March 12, 1968 photo of Main Street, looking southwest from Third, added to the Street Views page.

October 10, 2011

Harvey's Dime Store

Undated photo of Harvey's Dime Store added to (17) 530 E. Third Street.

October 9, 2011

Centennial Headquarters

A 1947 photo showing the "centennial headquarters" where Kellen's is now, added to (75) 342 Main Street.

Stommel's exterior, 1947

Three more photos of the store, taken on July 4, 1947, added to (20) Southwest corner of Third and Center Streets.

Stommel's

East side of the Stommel's building, viewed from the back, guy with no coat standing outside in 19-degrees-below-zero weather, December 27, 1950; added to (20) Southwest corner of Third and Center Streets.

Demolition of former Amazon building

A 1951 demolition photo added to (13) 600 E. Third Street.

Christenson Motors

Undated photo of the former Campbell garage in use by Christenson Motors added to (81) 431 Main Street south to the railroad tracks. (Also changed spelling of "Christensen" to reflect what's on the sign out front.)

Inside Stommel's in 1957

A 25-image slideshow of Stommel's interior, added to (20) Southwest corner of Third and Center Streets to mid-block.

October 8, 2011

Everhardt Sales & Service; Ginter Realty

A photo from April 28, 1968, showing both these businesses at Main and Fourth, added to (78) 405 Main Street.

October 6, 2011

Roosevelt Gym under construction

Notes on the back of the photo say 1924; added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Hobart High School

A photo of the high school in 1894 added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

October 5, 2011

M.E. Church

Two more photos of the present building, undated but probably circa 1920s and 1927-78, added to (2) 654 E. Fourth Street.

Old Fire Station

Clear, detailed but undated photo of the old fire station added to (7) West end of Fourth Street at the lake.

October 4, 2011

Trinity Lutheran Church

Undated, possibly circa-1920s photo added to (43) 134 Main Street.

Christian Science Reading Room

An undated photo of the "Christian Science Reading Room on Main Street" provisionally added to (66) 339 – 341 Main Street.

Amazon Restaurant

Evidently the Amazon opened up again after 1918 (under new management?); photo probably from the 1920s added to (13) 600 E. Third Street.

October 2, 2011

Future site of the post office

A photo taken September 18, 1935, of the lot where the post office would be built (viewed from the east) added to (46) Middle of 200 block of Main Street, east side (northerly part).

Cleveland Ave./Hwy. 130/EJ&E RR tracks

Two circa-1963 accident-scene photos at this intersection, tacked onto the end of the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Town dump

The former Kulage clay pit as the town dump in an undated, probably-early-1950s-1960s photo, added to the brickyard section of the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Flooded Brickie Bowl

A flood photo from Oct. 11, 1954, added to the high school section of the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Trinity Lutheran students and teachers

Undated class portrait, added to (31) 426 Center Street.

October 1, 2011

You can just barely see the Black Cat sign

An accident-scene photo in front of the Black Cat restaurant, undated, added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

September 30, 2011

Nickel Plate Depot

A photo of the Nickel Plate depot, maybe 1920, added to (30) 447 Center Street.

M.E. Church circa 1918

Added another photo of the church to (2) 654 E. Fourth Street.

Aerial view from west of Lake George

Downtown from the west side of Lake George circa 1954-1963, added to the Aerial Views page.

Tower Mobilgas Service Station

Another flood photo with the Tower service station in the background, added to (29) 150 E. Third Street.

Bank of Indiana

Tacked a 1965 shot of the Bank of Indiana onto (49) 237 Main Street.

Dyche Drugs

A 1947 parade scene including Dyche Drugs added to (58) 238 Main Street.

NATCO circa 1965

A photo of the NATCO brickyard circa 1965, added to the brickyard section of the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

September 29, 2011

First St. Bridget Church

A postcard postmarked 1908, showing the old frame St. Bridget Church, added to (44) 100 block of Main Street, east side.

Brickyard section

Reworked brickyard section! Added new images and accurate history; deleted link to inaccurate history. See the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

September 28, 2011

Ho-Hive

A 1955 newspaper photo of the Ho-Hive, plus a slightly clearer version of the circa-1890 parade scene at Main and Fourth, added to (5) Southwest corner of Fourth and Main Streets.

September 27, 2011

Michigan Avenue Methodist Church, 1968

Three 1968 photos added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Old Augustana Church in 1968

Added three 1968 photos of the former Augustana Lutheran Church to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Little Pleasures

Photographer accidentally documented a tenant in 1968 for (71) 318 – 328 Main Street.

634 E. Third

Decided to do the unthinkable and add another entry to the main list, to accommodate the former Scholler house and the Panda restaurant, without whose Moo Shu Chicken my life would be so much more dreary. See (8.1) 634 E. Third Street.

September 26, 2011

Pedersen Building, 1968

A nice shot of the Pedersen building in 1968, added to (45) Southeast corner of Main and Second Streets.

Paul Heuring Ford

Circa-1968 Heuring photos added to (8) 701 E. Third Street.

Guyer Building

Added a July 1968 photo of the Guyer Building to (16) 538 – 534 E. Third Street.

September 25, 2011

Fire/Police Station

A 1968 photo of the shared station at the end of Fourth Street, and of a police officer at work inside the station, added to (7) West end of Fourth Street at the lake.

End of the Nickel Plate Garage

A slideshow of photos of the former Nickel Plate Garage in use as "city barn" and then being demolished in the spring of 1968, added to (82) 414 – 426 Main Street.

City Hall construction

A 1967 photo showing the new city hall under construction added to (82) 414 – 426 Main Street.

Norge Village Laundromat

Added an exterior view from August 1967 to (39) Northwest corner of Center and Front Streets.

Stocker/Kramer home and St. Bridget convent

Several photos of the Stocker home and one of the convent under construction added to (36) 130 Center Street.

Gordon house, 1968

Photo from Second Street side, added to (34) 201 Center Street.

May or may not be the Spencer house

Maybe the Spencer house circa 1968, added to (30) 447 Center Street.

Little Pioneer Studio, 1968

Got an address and an image for the little mystery building formerly known as "Address unknown," now known as (23) 449 E. Third Street.

September 24, 2011

A&P Store

Photo from June 19, 1968, added to (28) 101 E. Third Street.

Aerial shot in color

Western downtown, 1968 or later, added to the Aerial Views page.

Bird's-eye view from Strattan House roof

This time from its south edge looking east, circa 1910; added to the Aerial Views page.

September 23, 2011

Another aerial view, from the northeast

Same time frame, might have been another (lower) pass by the same airplane; added to the Aerial Views page.

Aerial view, downtown from the north

An airplane shot circa 1953-1963, added to the Aerial Views page.

Aerial view northeast of downtown

Includes Cleveland Avenue, Hwy. 130, EJ&E RR, 1958 or later; added to the Aerial Views page.

Bird's-eye view south from Strattan House

August Haase up in the curtain loft, this time pointing his camera south for an unusual view, added to the Aerial Views page; I also used a detail from that view to illustrate (81) 431 Main Street south to the railroad tracks.

Electric Light and Water Plant

A circa-1913 exterior shot, some photos and an article re: Dorothy Thomas climbing the tower in 1915, and some early-1920s photos, all added to the power-plant section of the Brickyard and Other Views page.

September 22, 2011

Masonic Temple

Circa-1925 photo added to (33) 219 Center Street.

Hatchery and furniture

Liechty's hatchery (1947?) and Hobart Furniture (1983) at 401 S. Main, added to (78) 405 Main Street.

Lake George beach

Added to more photos of the beach (circa 1940, and July 4, 1931) to (42) 100 – 128 Main Street.

Third Street bridge over Deep River

A 1926 view that includes some of downtown from the west, added to the Street Views page.

Tower Mobilgas

1954 flood photo including the Tower service station added to (29) 150 E. Third Street.

Main Street 1948

Added to the Street Views page.

September 21, 2011

Campbell Bros. Garage

A nice shot of the Campbell Bros. Garage circa 1940 added to (81) 431 Main Street south to the railroad tracks.

Library circa 1929

Library and M.E. Church building in a circa-1929 view, added to (1) 706 E. Fourth Street.

Michigan Avenue Methodist Church

Two early photos of the church added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Trinity Lutheran Church

Added a circa-1909 view of the church to (43) 134 Main Street.

September 20, 2011

Interior, St. Bridget Church

Possibly the interior of the first St. Bridget, undated but by August Haase, added to (44) 100 block of Main Street, east side.

Scheddel Drug Store/Beach Jewelry Store

A 1909 photo of the combined store provisionally added to (61) 313 Main Street since I don't really know where it was.

Dell F. Beach jewelry store

Provisionally added a pre-1920 view of the Beach jewelry store to (18) 524 E. Third Street (not sure of its location).

Center Street

A snowy pre-1925 view of Center Street added to the Street Views page.

September 19, 2011

Fire station on Fourth Street

A 1941 photo of the fire station and crew added to (7) West end of Fourth Street at the lake.

First Unitarian Church

Two photos of the Unitarian church, circa 1920s and 1930, added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Smoke coming out of Traeger's saloon

Undated photo of a fire at 235 Main added to (48) 231 – 235 Main Street.

M.E. Church yet again

Added a 1930s photo of a choir inside the church to (2) 654 E. Fourth Street.

M.E. Church again

Added another circa-1910 view of the original church building (from a different angle) to (2) 654 E. Fourth Street.

M.E. Church

A 1929 postcard of the M.E. Church added to (2) 654 E. Fourth Street.

Old Mill pictures

Added a bunch of old mill pictures to (41) Northwest corner of Main and Front Streets. My favorite is the 1909 cow picture.

September 18, 2011

More additions to the Brickyard section

Brickyard aerial view, undated views (early and later), and some identified employees, added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

September 17, 2011

Brickyard, 1924 renovation

34 photos from 1924 showing demolition of old facilities and construction of new, added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Trinity Lutheran Church and parsonage

An undated photo from the 75th anniversary booklet added to (31) 426 Center Street.

September 15, 2011

Hobart Furniture

A 1984 ad with not much to see, but at least it's evidence of Hobart Furniture at this location; added to (64) 327 Main Street.

Brickie Photo Center

1984 shot of its new location added to (54) 216 – 200 Main Street.

Greener's

1983 exterior view of Greener's added to (45) Southeast corner of Main and Second.

Rich's Lounge

A 1982 ad showing the interior, added to (48) 231 – 235 Main Street.

Brickie Photo again

A 1982 shot added to the 1981, in (32) 223 – 225 Center Street.

Downtown Chuck's

1981 shot of this restaurant, which I never heard of before but apparently was among the predecessors of the Panda restaurant, added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Brickie Photo Center

1981 exterior shot of the Brickie Photo Center at 223 Center Street added to (32) 223 – 225 Center Street.

Norge Village Laundromat

1980 interior view added to (39) Northwest corner, Center and Front Streets.

300 block of Main Street

1980 shot of the 300 block of Main added to the Street Views page.

Creative Interiors

A 1980 ad showing the Creative Interiors building added to (28) 101 E. Third Street.

Craft Corner again

1980 shot of the display window added to (59) 301 – 305 Main Street.

Wise Way 1979

An exterior view of the Wise Way in 1979 added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Hobart Hardware

1979 exterior view added to (68) 300 – 302 Main Street.

Harrigan Real Estate

1979 view of the Harrigan office building at 124 Main Street, added to (42) 100 – 128 Main Street.

Craft Corner

Two 1979 images inside the Craft Corner added to (59) 301 – 305 Main Street.

September 13, 2011

Maurer's Meat Market

A 1977 interior photo added to (18) 524 E. Third Street.

Gary National Bank

1975 interior shot added to (41) Northwest corner of Main and Front Streets.

Smith Agency

1975 interior shot added to (12) 618 E. Third.

Kellen's Florist

1975 Kellen's interior views added to (75) 342 Main Street.

Myrna's Bridal Boutique; The Trunk, Inc.

1975 pix added to (26) 431 – 435 E. Third Street.

Hazard Halsted's Barbershop

Link to an Ainsworth post about Hazard Halsted and his barbershop added to (74) 340 Main Street.

Express Auto Supply

A 1975 interior shot added to (8) 701 E. Third Street.

Pedersen Building

Added a Nov. 29, 1913 image of the Pedersen building to (45) Southeast corner of Main and Second; also changed "Pederson" to "Pedersen" throughout to reflect how George Pedersen spelled his name in his own shop window.

300 block of Main

… as seen from Main and Fourth circa 1910, added to the Street Views page.

Pool Hall

A circa-1910 shot of a pool hall on this corner added to (67) 347 Main Street.

First State Bank, Bee Hive

An undated photo of the bank and the Bee Hive added to (59) 301 – 305 Main Street.

September 12, 2011

The Rose House

A 1913 image that shows what I'm guessing is the Fred Rose house, added to (51) 204 – 206 Main Street. I am getting a lot of mileage out of that one 1913 street scene.

Frame predecessor to Ben Ack Building

A 1913 image showing a frame building on the site of the present Ben Ack building, added to (54) 216 – 220 Main Street.

Gem Theater

Added a 1913 image of the Gem to (57) 236 Main Street.

September 11, 2011

More early library images

A slideshow of photos probably dating to around 1915 added to (1) 706 E. Fourth Street.

Hobart's first library

An undated photo of the first library added to (1) 706 E. Fourth Street.

Third at Center Street, undated

An undated photo showing the Guyer building and its neighbors overlooking a strange armed vehicle, added to the Street Views page.

Main Street, 300 block, east side

A shot of (I'm guessing) the 1975 Independence Day parade, added to the Street Views page.

September 10, 2011

Rip's Drive-Inn

Added a 1977 view of Rip's and the intersection of Cleveland and 130 to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Duggleby's Record Shop again

Added another Duggleby's interior shot (1975) to (76) 348 Main Street.

Aerial View circa 1954-1963

It took six passes of the scanner and three of Panorama Maker, but I got this wonderful, oversized, undated-but-roughly-dateable aerial view added to the Aerial Views page.

September 9, 2011

Trinity Lutheran Church and congregation

1948 group shot added to (43) 134 Main Street.

The second Trinity Lutheran Church

A 1939 photo of the church added to (43) 134 Main Street.

Augustana and First Unitarian

An undated view of Augustana Lutheran Church and a circa-1911 view of the First Unitarian Church, added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Somewhere on Cleveland Avenue

A semi-unidentified 1905 postcard added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

High School circa 1909

A postcard showing East Street and the high school added to the high school entry on the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Duggleby's Record Shop

A 1973 shot inside Duggleby's added to (76) 348 Main Street.

Inside Vossberg's

A 1973 interior shot of Vossberg's added to (64) 327 Main Street.

Hobart Sports

1973 shot of Hobart Sports at 437 E. Third, added to (25) 437 – 439 E. Third Street.

Wells Garage

A circa-1912 street scene showing the Wells Garage sign added to (63) Address unknown. (The same scene also added to (77) 350 Main Street to show the building occupied by a saloon.)

St. Mary Medical Center

1972 construction photo added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

September 8, 2011

Inside Corey Bros. Bakery

A 1972 interior shot added to (77) 350 Main Street.

Inside Hobart Hardware

A (not very instructive, but who cares?) 1972 interior shot at 302 Main, added to (68) 300 – 302 Main Street.

Hobart Federal Savings

A 1972 interior shot of HFS, 555 E. Third, added to (20) Southwest corner of Third and Center.

Express Auto Supply

1972 exterior shot added to (8) 701 E. Third Street.

Smith-Schoon-Hampsten

1972 exterior shot of the insurance office in the Friedrich building added to (12) 618 E. Third Street.

Candle Glow

Early-1970s shots of Candle Glow added to (62) 325 Main Street.

Wise Way

Inside the Wise Way in 1971, 1972 and 1973, added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Ginter Realty

A 1973 exterior and 1972 interior added to (78) 405 Main Street.

September 7, 2011

Bank of Indiana

Bank of Indiana at 433 Main (1972) added to (81) 431 Main Street south to railroad.

Pennsy Depot

A 1972 shot that just catches the depot building, added to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

La Mode

La Mode (326 Main) in 1971, added to (71) 318 – 328 Main Street.

September 6, 2011

Jannasch, Ritz, Langbehn

1971 and 1972 views of the insurance office at 15 Main added to (40) Intersection of Center and Main.

Carpet Cottage

1971 and 1972 interior views of the Carpet Cottage added to (59) 301 – 305 Main Street.

Old Masonic Hall

An article from 1872 about the dedication of the "new" Masonic Hall added to (72) 332 Main Street.

Hobart Gazette

Added 1971 exterior and 1972 interior shots of the Gazette office to (14) 607 E. Third Street.

Inside Henri's

Added a 1971 interior shot of Henri's to (54) 216 – 220 Main Street.

The Jewel Shop

A 1973 outside view and 1971 inside view of The Jewel Shop added to (49) 237 Main Street. (Also added that 1973 shot to the Street Views page.)

September 5, 2011

Main Drugs

A 1968 interior shot of Main Drugs added to (58) 238 Main Street.

Standard Service Station

1968 and 1972 images of the Standard station at 135 Main Street added to (44) 100 block of Main Street, east side.

Odell-Smith Jewelers

1971 and 1973 interior shots added to (67) 347 Main Street.

Aerial view of downtown, 1971

Added to the Aerial Views page.

Henri's

A 1970 exterior shot of Henri's added to (54) 216 – 220 Main Street.

Ittel Realty

Just on the basis of the resemblance of the buildings, a 1969 ad added to (9) 626 E. Third Street.

Walker Printing

Photo showing Walker Printing at 205 Main in 1969, added to (46) Middle of 200 block of Main Street.

Boyd Construction

A cute Boyd interior shot from 1969 added to (27) 437 – 439 E. Third Street.

Fresh New Library

Added a photo of the library in 1969 to (42) 100 – 128 Main Street .

Library Construction, 1968

The new library under construction, added to (42) 100 – 128 Main Street.

Old Library

The original library in 1967, added to (1) 706 E. Fourth Street.

Bates Grill

Bates Grill & Hotel in 1967, added to (70) 314 Main Street.

"Bud" Mellon

Bud Mellon outside his insurance office in 1966, added to (56) 232 Main Street.

Hobart Locker & Meat Market

Hobart Locker & Meat Market, 521 E. Third, in 1967; added to (20) Southwest corner of Third and Center.

September 4, 2011

Isakson

Added three views of the Isakson dealership to (38) 55 Center Street.

Kellen's

A 1966 shot of the Kellen florist shop, added to (79) 409 Main Street.

Hobart Gazette

The Hobart Gazette office in 1966, added to (14) 607 E. Third Street.

Inside Abbott's

Interior shots, 1966 and 1968, added to (66) 339 – 341 Main Street.

Edward's New Location

Interior shot of Edward's in 1973, at its new location, added to (45) Southeast corner of Main and Second.

Edward's Menswear Store

Exterior and interior views added to (68) 300 – 302 Main Street.

September 3, 2011

Pete's Snack Shop interiors

Three interior shots that do not suggest "All hope abandon, ye who enter here," added to (67) 347 Main Street.

Harrigan Real Estate & Insurance

… in the Pederson building in 1966, added to (45) Southeast corner of Main and Second.

Chicken Delight

Added a 1966 Chicken Delight ad to (54) 216 – 220 Main Street.

Pennsy Depot

Added three more views to the Pennsy depot entry on the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Old Mill

Three more views of the mill — circa 1945, seen from the lake circa 1949, and commemorated in 1953 — added to (41) Northwest Corner of Main and Front.

M.E. Church

Added two views of the present building, circa 1920 and 1945, to (2) 654 E. Fourth Street.

Main Street, looking south from Second

A circa-1940 view south on Main from Second added to the Street Views page.

Main Street at Third, circa 1932

Added, from a postcard postmarked 1932, Main Street looking north from Third, to the Street Views page.

Main Street at Sunset

Added a circa-1955 sunset view of Main Street to the Street Views page.

Old High School

Added two more views, 1905 and 1906, to the high school entry on the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

Lillian Street

Added a postcard showing Lillian Street circa 1909 to the Brickyard and Other Locations page.

September 2, 2011

The "Old Mill"

Added a mill photo that ran in a 1947 newspaper to (41) Northwest Corner of Main and Front.

Carl Krause Outside Stommel's

A Hobart Centennial photo from 1947 showing Carl Krause in front of Stommel's added to (20) Southwest Corner of Third and Center.

Third Street East From Main

A circa-1910 view of Third Street added to the Street Views page.

Third Street Bridge

A view of the Third Street bridge with downtown in the background, circa 1910, added to the Street Views page.

Bird's Eye View, 1877

Added a drawing of Hobart in 1877 as seen or imagined from the air to the Aerial Views page.

Abbott's Restaurant

Added two 1965 street scenes that catch oblique views of Abbott's, plus a link to a site that includes the neon window sign, to (66) 339 – 341 Main Street.

Hobart House

Linked to today's Hobart House image extravaganza in (55) 230 Main Street.

September 1, 2011

Calumet Finance

An interior shot of Calumet Finance in 1965 added to (68) 300 – 302 Main Street.

Pete's Snack Shop

Exterior and interior views of Pete's Snack Shop added to (67) 347 Main Street.

Joy Cleaners

Yet another picture of Joy Cleaners (1964) added to (26) 431 – 436 E. Third Street.

Bank at Third and Main

The northeast corner of Third and Main in 1964, showing the building occupied by a bank, added to (49) 237 Main.

Hobart Shoes

Added a 1964 shot of the front of Hobart Shoes to (13) 600 E. Third Street.

Corey Bros. Bakery

You can sort of half-way see Corey Bros. Bakery in the 1964 street scene I just added to (77) 350 Main Street.

Mystery Tenants

Added a not-particularly-helpful 1964 street scene to (71) 318 – 328 Main Street.

Hobart Federal Savings

Added a 1962 pic of Hobart Federal Savings to (20) Southwest Corner of Third and Center.

Home Service Station

A 1961 shot of the front of the Home Service Station added to (40) Intersection of Center and Main.

Mellon Insurance

Added a 1961 shot of the Mellon office to (56) 232 Main Street.

Elinor's

1957 interior and 1965 exterior shots of Elinor's added to (17) 530 E. Third Street.

Luigi's Pizza in the 1960s

A slideshow of Luigi's, 1961-1965, added to (32) 223 – 225 Center Street.

August 31, 2011

Hobart Shoes, 1957

A shot of Hobart Shoes in the one-story building that replaced the old two-story at (13) 600 E. Third.

Frey's Dairy Queen

Added three views of the old Frey's Dairy Queen, 552 S. Main, to the Aerial and Other Views page, under "Other Hobart Locations."

August 30, 2011

Leon Gardner's Walgreen Agency

Added a 1957 interior view of Leon Gardner's drug store to (69) 308 – 310 Main.

Aerial and Other Views

Added a 1957 shot of the Brickie Bowl that includes the back of the high school to the Aerial and Other Views page under "Other Hobart Locations."

Ben Ack Building and Henri's Dress Shop

Added a 1957 view of the Ben Ack building, plus a 1964 fa├žade of Henri's, to (54) 216 – 220 Main.

Aug. 20 – 29, 2011

Playing catch-up here — what I remember adding after Downtown Hobart's "official" debut:

♦ Two photos of Joy's Cleaners on Third Street — 1958 and 1960: (26) 431 – 435 E. Third.
♦ A 1959 aerial view, in Aerial and Other Views.
♦ Library construction photos and a bird's-eye view, undated: (1) 706 E. Fourth.
♦ Harry Grey outside his gas station, 1960: (40) Intersection of Center and Main.
♦ A glimpse of the otherwise mysterious buildings on (5) Southwest Corner of Fourth and Main.
♦ The G&E Restaurant and Lounge sign, 1977: (48) 235 – 235 Main.
♦ Two yearbook ads for Vossberg's clothing store, 1962 and 1963: (64) 327 Main.
♦ The Gary National Bank, 66 Main Street, in 1965: (41) Northwest Corner of Main and Front.